Skip to main content

Skype session 31st October 2017 and task A


As you may have read in my earlier blog I have sometimes struggled to participate in the group Skype sessions due to rehearsals or bad signal.  Today I managed to get an amazing signal and got involved in the group discussions.

The Skype session had students from modules 1, 2 and 3, which was very helpful as I’m in module 1 and I found the discussions with students  from different modules valuable.

Adelsola asked us one by one to tell the group what we’d like to discuss and the topics that came up were:

·      Professional profile (this is what I wanted to discuss as this is one of my tasks)
·      Unpaid work
·      Ethics
·      Enquiry questions
·      Drafts
·      Interview questions
·      Acting
·      Perfection
·      Plagiarism

I’m still getting used to this way of learning and this specific Skype session got me excited as we really were learning from each other by answering each other’s questions and giving advice. I now know this course is going to help me grow as person and find out things about myself I didn’t even know, so I’m going to write about the parts that were highlights for me.

The discussion on plagiarism got me thinking.   As I’ve referred to the blogs of other students in my blogs, have I acknowledged and credited them correctly? I know that when I write my thoughts down and refer to other people’s research and opinions I haven’t thought about plagiarism as this is all very new to me.

The discussion on drafts was another area I found myself heavily involved in without realizing I had so many questions about the subject. I mentioned that I struggle to pick a focus when writing my blogs although  I’ve written so many notes in my notebook about the course, tasks and discussions on blogs.   Also I have a fear of writing something wrong or that is irrelevant.  This comes up a lot! I realise that need to keep telling myself that learning to perfect your practice means there isn’t a wrong or right, there is just growing and learning.  The way of learning I’m used to is practice, practice, practice with feedback from choreographers and peers. Adesola said, “if writing doesn’t help, which it doesn’t work for everyone, leave a breadcrumb trail throughout - writing bits for the essay.”

Finding my own process is the key. Some of the other students said I should, break it down, do more than one blog at a time putting different ideas in each one.

So……………………………onto my topic ‘Professional Profile’, which brings me to task 1. I’ve already written my profile on my blog about what I do and myself. Now it is time to look at my CV.  I’ve always been very happy with it and it has  got me auditions and jobs. However, looking at it now, my big concern is having worked for the same company for so long as I’ve been on ships for a while now.  Additionally,  I’ve worked on land and in China for the same company. I asked the group their thoughts and they said that this shows I’m reliable.  I agree………..but I’m worried it doesn’t show diversity. Even though every contract has been different and helped me grow as a performer, has working for the same company made me less experienced? I’ve uploaded my original dancers CV for you all to take a look at.


I hope this helps anyone who wasn’t in the group skype session on the 31st.  Feel free to comment below.



                        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skype Induction

Just over 2 weeks ago i had a skype induction with Adesola Akinleye, Helen Kindred and the students who will be joining me on the BA (hons) Professional Practice course through Middlesex University. The day after the skype induction i embarked on board the P&O cruise ship the Britannia to start a 6 month contract as a production cast dancer. So you can imagine how worried i was that i'd be starting my course from over seas and not in a classroom were i can discuss with my peers face to face. However one by one we introduced ourselves to each other and explained what our current practice is and our reasons for taking the course. Through this i found there was another student Megan Suddart (i hope you don't mind me mentioning you in my blog) who is in the same situation as me and starting the course on board a cruise ship. This immediately put me at ease. I also found there was students from over seas in different time zones but we all have the same goal to further our pract

Studying at sea

This is my 6 th contract at sea as a production cast dancer. I consider myself very lucky to do what I love for a living whilst travelling around the world. As a performer onboard a cruise ship we get labeled with having an easy life by other crewmembers. We perform our shows at night when we are sailing and are able to get off at all the exotic places we dock. However I wouldn’t say we have an easy life. I trained very hard from the age of 2, which cost my parents a lot of money to be where I am today. We rehearse for 2 months on land before getting on the ship. The hours we put into rehearsals to get the shows up and running are physically and mentally challenging.   When we finally get onboard the ship we go through an install period, which includes costume fittings, blocking, sound checks, tech runs, costume runs and the actual shows. On top of that we have a number of safety inductions and trainings to prepare us for being onboard. After the install period is finished we do ge